Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Day is hot!

Last night, we had a HUGE northern Xmas dinner! Pat made several entrees (appetizers): zucchini with hard boiled egg bits, mint and olive oil drizzled over top; soft cheese wrapped in slices of smoked salmon with chives tied around each roll; smoked salmon with lemon pieces and dill over bread. There was also the roasted chicken from the supermarket (so no chooks were killed on the farm - this time). Pat also made zucchini au gratin (like a lasagna); garlic green beans with mushroom; and a peach upside-down cake. As for me, I made garlic mashed potatoes with chives and the stuffing my dad used to make (bread with bacon, celery and lots of sage!). I also finished putting the final touches on the pavlovas that were started the day before. For each pavlova, I took 3 of the meringue buds and put them in a circle. Then I put on whipped cream and sprinkled it with berries (cranberries, blueberries, rasberries). We also had some rum balls for dessert. Of course, we didn't make one dent in the food! There was also white and red wine too. There was sooo much. We'll have some tonight along side the aussie xmas food. We want everyone else to try it.

So Pat did make a lot of food but he says that was verrry little compared to how xmas dinner is done in France. Over there, they start eating in the early afternoon and go on all night! They have several apparitifs which are before the entrees (appetizers), then the entrees, then a main, then alcohol as a break, then another main, etc. Phew! His family will have fresh oysters, fish, turkey, etc. You name it, they probably made it. The French sure know how to eat well!

Today is Christmas Day and it is hot out there....probably mid-20's Celcius? It is sunny and there are lots of xmas stuff on tv. It really doesn't feel like Christmas to me because it's summer here! I'm barefoot, wearing shorts and a tank top!

I am still full from last night and I am waiting for the family to get back from Sydney so we can have xmas dinner again. The neighbours Brett and Sasha will join us.

1 comment:

Ketchup said...

Sounds like you're having a good time, food food food! :-)

How old is Pat? I'd love to see a pic of your WWOOF family and friends. Ya know, I'd just be glad to see a pic!!

It's been crazy warm here, totally doesn't feel like Christmas (but that's a good thing for me, I hate being away from family).

Look forward to more posts from ya!