Monday, May 11, 2009

Going to the Outback!!!!

This morning I received a call about a job in the outback! I am so excited I will be working at a pub in Mt. Magnet which is up in the middle of nowhere of Western Australia. This town of approximately 1000 was a significant gold mining town and there are many sheep stations nearby. It's 11hrs northeast of Perth by bus. My duties will include bar, kitchen, and cleaning. I hear the locals are friendly there and I am especially looking forward to a real Australian outback experience! Unfortunately, there will not be any cell phone service but hopefully there'll be internet.

I will be leaving in 3 days and the plan now is to work for 2 months. Of course, if I love it there then I will stay longer.

I just saw the movie Australia last night at the hostel (they were showing it for free) and it made me really want to go to the desert. Now I am! It is one long movie (3hrs) but a very good one....I recommend it. I tried watching it on the plane 3 weeks ago but fell asleep after 1 hr. I cannot watch long movies on flights. I'm glad I had another chance to see it. The next movie I want to see before I leave Perth is Samson and Delilah. It's an indie movie about 2 Aboriginal teenagers in the outback. I'm going to see that on Wednesday when it is cheapest.

I also ran in the park again. Yay.....I'm doing good with the exercise! Hopefully, I'll keep it up in the hot arid desert. Especially since I'll be eating poorly there (pub food). Then again, maybe I'll lose weight from all that working.

I'm soooo ready to work again! Yes!!!! I'm most excited about meeting the locals! :)

No comments: