Saturday, May 2, 2009

Time to Update my blog starting with Kangaroo Island!

Hi all, it's now May 2 and I'm in Perth (Western Australia). I have 3 months worth of stuff to update you guys on! I'll skim through everything and it won't be as detailed as my other posts since there's so much that went on.

JANUARY 29 - FEBRUARY 18

I was wwoofing at a wildlife sanctuary on Kangaroo Island in South Australia. This was while the wild bushfires were going on in Victoria (far away in another state). We were so isolated that we didn't even know there were fires. I wwoofed with 4 other backpackers (German, French, Brazilian) and we got our own beach house by the water. It was a very nice house with gorgeous sunsets and heaps of wild kangaroos hopping around. On our time off, we went down to the bay to fish. I caught a big flathead one night! It's a nice fish...yum. I also managed to float in the water...salt water is better than chlorine.

Our days started early (around 10-11am) and ended late. We were always busy. Paul owned a wildlife sanctuary and a farm as well. He has a wife and kid named Poppy, who's 5 yrs old. During the day, I would sometimes help with his wildlife tours for the tourists by setting the food for the animals. Other times, I'd feed the animals. He has emus (scary huge birds who turned out to be harmless), kangaroos, birds, chicks, alpaca, sheep, ponies, horses, etc. He had everything! I also mustered sheep --- they are nervous and dumb animals! They get so scared they'll run into a fence. I learned a lot about sheep psychology while mustering them. Another thing I did was pack wool into bags after Paul sheared them and separated the good from the bad wool. There was a lot of land on the property which needed fencing so I also helped dig holes for the fence poles. When I wasn't outside in the sun running after sheep and getting extremely dirty, I was inside babysitting Poppy. We'd play farm animals together or watch Madagascar 2. Or we'd go outside and jump on the trampoline.

All this work left little time for blogging and when I left Kangaroo Island 3 weeks later, I didn't have time to catch up. Until now....

No comments: